Monday, October 8, 2012

Telescopes and Compasses for Columbus Day!

   To celebrate Columbus day the boys and I decided to make some of the things Christopher Columbus used on his journeys. We started out making telescopes by simply using a paper towel roll. We placed some plastic wrap on one of the ends and taped it down. After that we wrapped the tube with construction paper, taped the paper in place, and used markers and stickers to decorate them.

   When we finished with the telescopes we started making our compasses. I first cut two circle pieces and two arrows out of a cardboard box (one of each for each child). I fastened the arrows to the circles with a pipe cleaner and drew the letters N,E,S, and W in their appropriate places. I then let the boys decorate them with markers and stickers. My youngest son wanted to make his a necklace so I used a hole puncher to make a hole at the top of the compass to thread some yarn through. My oldest son wanted a bracelet so I used the hole puncher to punch a whole at the top and the bottom of the compass to thread the yarn through.





Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

counter